Sunday, December 14, 2008

When I'm faced with a problem, I start whistling the theme for MacGyver.

LOL

And in case any of my readers are too young to remember MacGyver, well here's the theme song for the show.


Anyway, many people know I don't watch TV. Truth is, I don't even have cable (I do have cable internet! lol). However, when I'm too tired to do anything else (such as recent USPS days where I run my behind off delivering packages and 27 certified letters) I love to curl up and watch MacGyver, which makes me feel like I could be smarter if only I knew how to make explosives out of a dead fish, a broken bottle, toilet paper, some buttons, and a shoe. Maybe a stink bomb. lol. And in today's internet age, if you want to use the internet to be more like MacGyver, you could always search "how to make bombs out of common household items" on Google. The first thing you do is put the coffee on, because by the time it's done percolating you'll have the Secret Service at your door.

But it's always good to know that if we were to get kidnaped by Soviet agents, that freedom is just one Swiss Army Knife away.

So I had this dream that someone had this plot to bomb the Norwichtown Mall, and the only people who could save the mall was me and MacGyver. LOL For all my non-eastern Connecticut readers, the Norwichtown Mall is a dead mall, with only three stores inside among about 25 empty storefronts. They would consist of a Dollar Tree, a hair salon, and a GNC vitamin store. The more recent stores to close included a chinese restaurant with only 8 different combo dishes to choose from, and the Radio Shack my parents bought their first computer from in 1988.



That computer still works, by the way.



In other news, I really want to head back to the beach. I wish there were more of me to go around and do things, and that flea markets weren't only open on Sundays.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't have cable either. I like it that way! We can spend that money on more important things and spend more time as a family.

Jena Isle said...

I used to watch McGyver too before, but it is no longer available here in the Philippines in the local TV stations. New series should be made for the show.

Cheers.

Idiot on a Stick said...

I never even watched MacGyver, the most of what I knew about it was from the Simpsons (the sisters who loved him) and comedians who made fun of the show.

What I do though is whenever somebody at works is expecting the impossible, I say, "who am I... MacGyver?" - and they all seem to know what I'm talking about.

Megan McGory Gleason said...

melissaclee-- We don't even miss cable, except CNN or the Weather Channel sometimes but we can access that online too.

Jena Isle-- my husband used to watch MacGyver in the weee hours of the morning in Egypt. I used to watch it with my grandfather on Monday nights back when I was like...4,5, but I really forgot everything about the show until my grandfather let my husband borrow his DVD sets! My hubby was real excited but now I can see why! LOL

Idiot on a Stick - lol I feel like I'm incredibly outdated because I make MacGyver jokes now. The show is really worth watching, since the media has such huge influence on the masses it would be nice to see a MacGyver type hero re-ignite interest in the applied sciences and mathematics in the US. We idolize stupidity and drunken drama queens and we wonder why we're turning into a white trash nation? Look at who we look up to!

...seeing that MacGyver is in syndication in countries that are miles ahead of the US in terms of science education in its children, I can't help but wonder if it could be because they have smarter TV programming other than Jackass or something.