Thursday, February 12, 2009

Recipe! and deciding to go mostly vegetarian.

I'm feeling much better now, and my birthday is tomorrow. (25!) So here's a recipe of something I made last night.

Edamame and Corn salad

You'll need
1 pkg. frozen edamame (can be found in the frozen vegetarian section).
1 can Mexican style corn
1 can whole kernel sweet corn
1 can black beans
1/2 jar mixed vegetable bruschetta
some olive oil, to make the bruschetta stretch since it's quite expensive.

Prepare frozen edamame according to the package directions in the biggest pot you own, since you're just going to mix all the rest of the stuff in with it once the edamame is ready. Can be served cold or warm. Makes like 8 servings, or 4 if you like to eat. The bruschetta costs like $7 but it you make it stretch, it's really not that bad. Total cost for all 8 servings is not much, especially if you get the edamame on sale. Some weeks you can get 2 packages for $5, so buy a lot then and leave it in your freezer.

Eating on a budget...weeeeee!

I have decided to go mostly vegetarian. Of course I still have meat in the house but once that's gone I've pretty much decided not to buy it anymore. It's so darn expensive! Having food poisoning 4 times in the past year really makes you re-think what you eat. Even I am cutting down on pasta, since I have a sinking suspicion that my stomach really can't digest it and it's doing more harm than good.

So here's to getting sick LESS in 2009!

No comments: