Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring's here! Get out of the house!

Remember when I said I was going to sew my socks to my steering wheel cover? Well here's the almost finished product. It's a little too sloppy at the moment but that cover is very hard to sew through, and any work I'm going to do on it from here on has to be done with the cover on the wheel. It does need some extra stitches, just to make it neat. (It's so comfy!) What else can you see in the car? 2-liter of Mt. Dew...bag for hunting sea glass and other things (I keep shovels and digging tools in it...lol)...and an Etsy order sitting there.
The Etsy order was for Number 18--the steampunk brooch I made the night before ITema laid me off. It was the first of its kind that I made so I was a little attached to it, but when I got this convo from Fyrecreek, it made it so worth it!

I wanted to let you know the broach arrived yesterday. I saw in your profile that this is the first one you made in this style. That was actually the deciding factor for me when I bought it. I had made a list of all the many things available that I liked the most, and then went through reading profiles to help make a decision on which I was going to get this time around. The Irish stamp and the cool little hand is what put this one on my list to begin with. But your profile mentioned it was your first, and I think no one's first piece should stay in the storefront for very long. Keep making them, you're very good.

Etsy has been good to me, even though I actually stepped back and took a breather from it for about a week. I need to post some new stuff tonight, actually I need to make some new stuff too. I will be moving into the last of the rooms downstairs soon so we're cleaning and re-arranging and it doesn't leave much time for jewelry making.

I've been loving the beautiful weather we've had all week. Granted, I guess we could use some rain as things have been catching on fire like crazy because everything is so dried up. For those of you who knew me in middle school (which is like ...no one who reads this blog...) the 3-story chicken coop across the street from my old house caught fire yesterday. Crazy, because 10 years ago Patrick and I were wandering around the woods over there (big bottle dump, and a "floating door"...I'll explain that some other time maybe)...and we just discovered this huge chicken coop that people were living in. Curtains and ACs in the windows.

I guess no one was living there now, as the newspaper said today that it was abandoned. Or was it?

Add this to the huge fire I saw while coming home the other night from a lovely Saturday. A huge McMansion burned about two miles from my house, and I saw it when I was driving down the hill in Wauregan (about 3 miles from the fire).


And that was my lovely Saturday. I came home and watched The Village (zip it....all of you...though I finally saw Scary Movie 4 where they make fun of it XD "Come Ezekiel, shall we have a foot race?")

Sunday's flea market day was a bit slow, so I think I'm going to bow out of there either this weekend or next (probably next weekend). I've had a great time during my 5 months there, but now I want to shift my focus, at least till the good weather is over.

Monday I went out looking for sea glass, for the first time in almost a month (because of the car problems, and now the price of gas is keeping me away as well...). I went to my two favorites and actually didn't find much. At Narragansett I found a huge bottom of a bottle or a jar, which is embossed "E.B. Co. Ld. 10710".



At Scarborough, I walked out a bit farther than normal and stumbled upon this odd concrete retaining wall, and at the back of it was a 1970's bottle dump...though everything's smashed to bits, against this wall. I found fragments which read "Liquor Bottle" and the bottom of a glass Sprite 2 liter. When I worked at Soda Warehouse (5 longggggg years ago...though pretty soon if I don't get a job I might go try going back there), someone actually thought they could get the redemption on one of those. (No, because the distributor who picks up the empties would not pick up something like that...so my boss put the bottle on his shelf along with other very old bottles people would bring back).


Total sea glass finds for the day; 158 pieces.

Tuesday was a bit of a waste...

Yesterday, after dropping off 3 boxes of magazines for recycling, I drove to Moosup so I could go for a walk in the shade. I decided to go to the place with the crystals, and when I got there I wanted to walk on the bridge (near the mill) to look at the river.

But while I was looking along the river banks, aqua shards of glass caught my eye. Now some of you can tell how badly I've been wanting to get out there and dig bottles like my mom and I used to back in 1996-1998...and when I spotted those shards I knew that might mean bottle dump. (These photos are like a reenactment...lol...the angle of the sun was different and they really popped).

So I madly went right down the riverbank, almost on my butt. It was a pretty steep incline.

There wasn't much down there that wasn't broken, and I scrambled back up the bank after about 15 minutes.


But!!!!!! I had plans to return today.
Obligatory car shot!

The fenced off remains of a building? Maybe?

So I stumbled upon this while poking around, looking for an easier way down the bank without sliding on my butt. Bottle dump..finally!
Too bad the lip on this one was busted. SAWYERS CRYSTAL BLUE INC. I took it home anyway.

Lots of plain, unembossed screw-top bottles. This dump's age varies a bit. And this bottle (below) was sitting right on top. Now I want to see one of these whole! lol

HENRY K. WAMPOLE & COMPANY. Whole. Sitting at a base of a tree.

A button!

The whole finds from yesterday & today.

The almost, but not quite whole finds from yesterday & today (that cobalt blue had me...oh..it was sitting right on the edge of the riverbank looking nice and whole...turned it over and there's a big crack. Bottles: 1 Megan: 0)

AND THE BROKEN MESS that I took home anyway.


3 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

I'm thrilled if I find one piece of sea glass!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I wish I had your energy. You had some great finds and a real interesting read!

Gray Eyed Scorpio said...

What a haul!