Saturday, May 31, 2008

How's the zine going?

This week has been crazy. On Memorial Day I recorded a youtube video for Etsy's collection series, but I never edited and uploaded it. During the afternoon we went to see Indiana Jones...if you can imagine how excited my grandfather was to see it, check this out!

As for the movie...well....oh well. It was cool to be a part of the crowd that can be like "I REMEMBER GOING TO THE THEATER TO SEE LAST CRUSADE AND NOW IT'S SO COOL TO SEE INDY ON THE BIG SCREEN AGAIN" but the whole premise of the movie wasn't an Indy movie. More like Indiana Jones meets Ed Wood. Yikes. Though I definitely liked the part with the atomic bomb. As for Cate Blanchette, she was a lot better in Babel...if that gives you any idea. Nevertheless, it was worth it just for seeing my grandfather so happy! If you ever wanted to meet a true Indy, well, this is the guy who got me into urban exploring. Looks pretty good for 77! Can't wait to climb Lantern Hill with him this coming Father's Day.

As for the zine, I worked on it during my lunch breaks for the post office orientation this week. Got a lot of writing done, but I'm not sure I'll be able to finish up and crank this zine out by June 5. There's just so much work to be done, nevermind the fact I can't come up with a decent title or a good place to start it. I've just been writing ideas ALL week. It will come together.

So now the rest of the week: Post Office orientation! Holy Cow...here's what my schedule was like...
Tuesday: up at 5:30AM, left the house 6:15, arrived in New Haven 7:40. Left New Haven 4:00, returned home 5:30. 170 miles round trip.
Wednesday: see Tuesday. 170 miles again.
Thursday: Slept in! Awesome! Then got a phone call that I was supposed to be at Norwich PO Annex at for training at 8:30....well somewhere that call got missed. Got to Norwich 10:00, left 1:20, lunch at 2:30, headed to the Bella Earth in W. Warwick for 4:45, dropped off earrings and headed home for 6:15. Over 150 miles driven.
Friday: up at 4:45AM. Left the house 5:20, arrived in Hartford 6:15...had to be there for 7 but Hartford is funny in that if you don't beat the traffic in, you WILL be late. And if you beat the traffic, you're ridiculously early. Returned home 4PM, 102 miles round trip, promptly passed out.

Next week's schedule:
Monday: New Haven 8-12
Tuesday: Hartford 7-1
Wednesday-Friday: Putnam 8-4:30. Putnam will be the easy one (32 miles round trip, LOL).

The worst part about orientation is getting up that early and driving for an hour or more just to get to where I have to be. The good news is they'll pay me 50 cents per mile, minus the mileage between here and Norwich.

Sophie Saab needs a trip to the car doctor. Needs a new oxygen sensor, which I've known for about a month but have been putting it off because I don't know any good Saab mechanics locally, and it's going to cost a pretty penny just to fix the car. Yeah she runs. But she's eating gas because she's not well (she ranges between 20 and 26mpg, but I'd much rather see it in the 26mpg ALL THE TIME). So I'd better eat the repairs instead of putting it off and eating the gas. And she stalls on start up and backing a lot more often--yesterday some guy beeped and yelled at me because the car stalled 3 times while I was trying to back out of a parking spot and he wanted my spot. So I figure if people have road rage this bad, I better fix the car before someone shoots me through the head with a crossbow. The truth is that I don't trust any mechanics with my car. Not this one. And you wouldn't trust anyone with it either if you drove all the way to Boston just to get it!!! lol

Today is Mom's birthday...Happy Birthday MOM! Sushi for dinner tonight!

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Nothing much is up. Just had a family move yesterday that I got really close to really fast. But they're still within 3 hours!

When are you coming to visit me??

CSD Faux Finishing said...

Wow that is a lot of driving with a car that needs some lovin! With gas prices so high it will definitely save you in the long run to get it fixed. Nothing around Hartford huh? That is strange.

Fedoras are on my top ten all time favorite things list, go Gramps pulling it off! Hmmm...now glad we didn't see it in the theater yet, this is the 2nd mixed review I've seen.

You will come up with a title for your zine. The good news is if its the first there should not be pressure to release it. I am on volume 2 & not quite finished yet but its due for release Wednesday yikes! Good luck & let us know when its available!

Unknown said...

your grandfather is adorable!
and good for you for doing a zine, i did one, once, haha it's a lot of work, but have fun with it!! :)

Peg Englishman said...

I am a die hard Indiana Jones fan and just saw the new movie. I loved it!! Just seeing Harrison Ford again in that role was worth it! I do have to say that the last crusade remains my favorite of the bunch. Course, Shia LeBouf is quite the nice addition to the new one:)