Friday, February 29, 2008

IDEA!

OMG, I just had the coolest idea.

If any of you know me and socks, you'll know that I haven't worn a plain white pair of socks in 9 years. Yes, really. I take pride in my funky socks.

But no pair of socks lasts 9 years without holes. I still wear socks with small holes, but a great many of my socks have huge holes in the heels.

I've saved all my old pairs of socks in hopes that one day I would find a use for them.

And I finally got that idea today.

I was looking on Etsy for a crocheted steering wheel cover because I want to decorate my Saab with all things home-made, to give it that artsy flair. I have no idea how to crochet and don't have much of an interest in learning how. I posted a "how much would you charge me to make this" in the Etsy forums and had no bites at all.

While picking socks to wear today, I found that most of my clean pairs had those huge holes (need to do laundry), and realized I could make a colorful steering wheel cover out of the socks!

But how? I have no idea how to make my own "pattern" for such a thing. And I pulled my $15 memory-foam steering wheel cover out of the Grand Am, even though it's so dirty from delivering newspapers that every time I touch it, my hands turn black and dry out from the ink. (I used to wear latex gloves to deliver the papers to save my hands from the ink.) I have no idea how to clean this expensive cover, and doubt it would survive the wash.

What to do?

Cut the socks into small squares and sew them OVER the existing cover! Problem solved!

Before / After pictures will be forth coming :D. I just had to post this here so I wouldn't forget it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the steering wheel cover.
Sock fabric is a great idea.
I look foward to seeing the pictures!!

Cobblers Cabin said...

You have a really cool and very interesting blog! If you're looking for easy crochet patterns other than granny squares, (everyone does those) feel free to convo me and I'll see what I have......or if you have your heart set on granny squares......I have patterns for some really cool ones!