Monday, March 17, 2008

ACEOs...new addiction OH NOES

ACEO: Art Cards, Editions and Originals. Main rule: Flat-ish art must measure 3.5 x 2.5 inches.

As I've been on Etsy for just about three months, and selling for two, I've seen ACEOs for sale but for the life of me couldn't figure out what the attraction was. I saw someone say they were addictive, not so much to collect, but to MAKE. I can see this. Restrictions on art which therefore makes it a challenge and possibly more fun to create.

After reading this topic in the Etsy forums, I realized that many of the photos I took with my Sony Cybershot DSC-P31 which don't have a high enough resolution (2MP!) to be made into decent photographic prints could be sold in this fashion. Many abandoned house shots I could never take again (house demolished, collasped, etc) can still be considered art even though they look downright DREADFUL as 8 x 10!

And before I realized what I had done, in 2003 I resized about 200 of the original files and no longer have the originals. I just never thought it would matter; I cropped and resized and photoshopped, and that was it. Many of my late 2002/early 2003 digital photos are ruined in this way. Now they can find new life as an ACEO! (Wait for them to start appearing in my Etsy shop...)

Never made it to the beach today...wanted to because it is a BEAUTIFUL day, but we just started remodeling the last room of the three rooms in the basement that make up my apartment. So I helped my grandfather with that, he took me to lunch, and then I went to Salvation Army and beyond for job hunting.

Job hunting is discouraging. It destroys every bit of your ego and comes back to take your soul.

:-/

So I came home and posted new items on Etsy. I mean, at least it's a job, even if it pays 1/4 what Yankee Retail did for 500% more work and is 1000% more satisfying.

-sigh-

1 comment:

Sea Glass Things said...

Nice blog!!! My fellow sea glass hunter ;) I have always wonder the attraction of ACEO as well - good write up! Marla